Monday, December 12, 2016

Big Decisions? Where's wisdom when you need It?

An unexpected crisis. A big decision. A hectic, out-of-control schedule.

How do you know what the right thing to do is? How can you handle the crisis; your big decision or know what to remove from your busy life?

How often do you exhale these words, “I need wisdom”?

I’ve made a lot of mistakes in the past. Wrong assumptions. Times when I thought God was leading me in a certain direction, only to find out I was off the path.

I went through a season of doubting my ability to discern and hear God’s voice. I avoided decisions that required stepping out in faith. I questioned whether I’d ever heard God’s voice or truly experienced His leading. 

I know not to trust my heart completely because I’ve been led astray by it before. I’ve found that Jeremiah 17:9 is true: The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?

That’s hard to swallow when the world’s motto is follow your heart. When we follow our heart's wisdom, we get tossed to and fro by every wind and wave. There is no stability in following your heart.

In hindsight, I see where I’ve heard God, but then stepped ahead of Him, instead of waiting. I assumed He meant NOW, right NOW. 

Then there were those times I jumped in with my emotions, without further confirmation from Him.

I’m learning that when I feel a nudge or tug in my heart, rather than ASSUMING it’s from God, I simply ask Him. Then wait while coming to Him and His word daily.

God will never withhold guidance, instruction or wisdom when we ask for it.

Wisdom is not hidden from us. Wisdom isn’t silent. It’s not a mystery or big secret only available to certain people.

Wisdom isn’t quiet and can be easily heard from anyone who asks, listens, adheres to, watches and waits.

Does not wisdom call out? Does not understanding 
raise her voice? At the highest point along the way, 
where the paths meet, she takes her stand; beside the 
gate leading into the city, at the entrance, she cries 
aloud: To you, O people, I call out; I raise my voice to 
all mankind. Proverbs 8:1-4

The question to ask is, are we listening?

I’m a visionary type of girl. God sometimes uses mind pictures to show me something.

I picture wisdom packed in a treasure chest. Kind of like the old ones you see in attics and garages or in a movie. You know, where the actress is staring at the big old trunk with anticipation of what’s inside. Will she open it or not?

In my mind, this trunk has W-I-S-D-O-M across the front and
packed inside are all its attributes. What would you do? Open it? Leave it? Or would you pull everything out, gratefully scooping it up and putting it to use?

Here's what you'd find:

Understanding
Prudence (cautious reasoning)
Truth
Knowledge
Trustworthy advice
Justice
Discernment
Instruction
Discretion
Counsel
Sound Judgement
Insight
Riches and honor
Righteousness
Justice

How can you apply all this sound wisdom to your life?

Begin here:

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and 
knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10

Fear, as in reverent fear, not scared fear.

Throughout Proverbs 8 we’re instructed further:

Now, then, my children, listen to me; blessed 
are those who keep my ways. Proverbs 8:32

Listen to my instruction and be wise; 
do not disregard it. Proverbs 8:33

Blessed are those who listen to me, watching daily 
at my doors, waiting at my doorway. Proverbs 8:34

Fear God. Listen. Keep His ways. Watch daily. Wait. Do all these to gain priceless wisdom and direction. He will never steer you wrong.

Staying the course,
Terri


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: