Monday, January 2, 2017

Life Transitions: Brace Yourself

When your life’s foundation shakes beneath your feet; your world, as you know it, shifts and changes against your will, changes for which you have no control over, how do you brace yourself?

Life transitions are hard enough when you’re grounded in a sturdy relationship with Jesus, our Lord Almighty. I can’t imagine walking through this unpredictable life and world without His presence, power and assurance of my position and future with Him.

He moves through these unbearable transitions with us, ever present, never leaving our side.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; 
and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep 
over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not 
be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze. Isaiah 43:2

During some of my life’s biggest earthquakes, out of desperation, I held on tight to God’s promises of comfort, peace and hope. Each time, He fulfilled those promises.

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, 
the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, 
who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort 
those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves 
receive from God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

As we visited with my dad over the holidays, I thought a lot about the reality of life’s constant changes. He lives eight hours away and I’ve made this same trip to Mississippi for over 36 years. 

My stepmom, Mama-Jean, passed away July of 2015, drastically changing our visits to Mississippi.

Mama-Jean was a strong woman and wonderful homemaker. She always spiced up our times together by spoiling us and making sure we left five pounds heavier than when we came. 

Now, trips to Dad’s feel more like we’re on borrowed time, as he’s 81, and I’m not very young myself.

Transitioning through my mom’s death in December 2014, is ongoing. As I put away Christmas decorations, memories behind specific ornaments and displays that were mom’s flood my mind. 

Many times I stop and ask God if He can let her know somehow that I’m thinking about her.

Grieving loved ones, going through divorce, illness, financial loss, etc., can be overwhelming to the point of giving in to complete hopelessness.

But you don’t have to live in hopelessness if you belong to Christ. When your world falls apart, you don't have to crumble beneath its weight. 

Why? Because Jesus Christ is our Rock. Refuge. Hope. He’s our Guide and Comforter. He steadies us when the ground underneath shakes and shifts.

Are you experiencing big transitions in your life right now; facing changes that you have no control over? 

Are you trying to maintain a “stiff upper lip”? Are you forcing down emotions that can be expressed to your Heavenly Father instead? 

Are you looking for others to provide comfort and hope? Even our most devoted loved ones are limited in what they can provide during difficult transitions.

As 2016 is now behind us, and today we begin a new year, will you stand firm with me on God’s solid foundation that’s sealed with the following words: 

The Lord knows those who are His…2 Timothy 2:19

And if you’re not sure if you belong to Him and feel hopeless in the midst of your earth-shattering transition, then know this: You are not reading this post by mistake. He loves you with an everlasting love and draws you to Him with unfailing kindness. Jeremiah 31:3

Jesus came to provide a way for you and me to know Father God intimately.

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus 
and believe in your heart that God has raised Him 
from the dead, you will be saved. Romans 10:9

Opening your heart’s front door to Jesus Christ opens up a world of hope, comfort and peace. He will forgive all your sin and indwell you by His Holy Spirit.

You can know joy and peace in the midst of life’s most difficult times.

Best of all, though, is when you transition from this temporary life on earth, to eternity with Him forever!

I pray all of you have a wonderful new beginning with Jesus today, and throughout this year, as you trust Him fully in all of life’s transitions, whether good or bad.

May you find joy, peace and comfort as you trust Him more for what only He can provide. 

Staying the course through transitions,

Terri

2 comments:

  1. Terri, what a wonderful uplift for all sorts of life trouble. Thank you for sharing honestly about how death of two women in your life has changed things. I loved the line "Open your heart's door to Jesus..." Finally signed up. I look forward to seeing your writing in my email :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Julie. I give the Lord every bit of praise and glory for every single time He's walked with me and even carried me through tough transitions. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Share your comment here: