Monday, January 30, 2017

What is Your Passion? What do you Want?

Many years ago, when someone would ask what I wanted, or what was my passion, my answer would be a blank stare.


I had the mindset that what I wanted didn’t matter. And passion? Passion for what? I was simply trying to survive in this world as a single mom, juggling hardships and taking care of my children.

I loved the Lord. A lot! I did have passion for Him and His word. After all Jesus is the reason I survived all those hard years. So after my blank stare, my answer would always be within the broad scope of my relationship with Jesus being my passion.

I felt it was a luxury to contemplate any specifics about what I wanted or desired. Reality was what it was and to dream or think about what I wanted or what was important to me would be selfish.

I was caught in a tangled snare.

I was bound up in living the status quo, accepting financial restriction as a way of life, succumbing to physical limitations as I age, governed by impossibilities and a can’t-do mindset. 

My walk with Almighty God has grown and matured through the years, yet I’ve always felt a sense that He wants to do more.

In 1 Kings, chapter three, King Solomon asked God for a discerning heart to govern the masses. He’d witnessed God’s fulfillment of incredible promises He’d made to King David, Solomon’s father. Solomon was young and overwhelmed with his new position in life, but his faith in God exceeded any limitations he had.

Here’s how that conversation went:
At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon during the night 
in a dream, and God said, “Ask for whatever you want 
me to give you.” Solomon answered, 
“You have shown great kindness to your servant, 
my father David, because he was faithful to you and 
righteous and upright in heart. You have continued this 
great kindness to him and have given him a son to sit on his throne this very day. "Now, Lord my God, you have made 
your servant king in place of my father David. 
But I am only a little child and do not know how to carry 
out my duties. Your servant is here among the people you 
have chosen, a great people, too numerous to count or number. 
So give your servant a discerning heart to govern your people 
and to distinguish between right and wrong. 1 Kings 3:5-9

God not only granted Solomon's request for wisdom, but He gave it in abundance along with great material wealth, which Solomon didn’t ask for.

As I have prayed recently for God to line my wants up with His, and to deposit His desires into my heart, while removing those that aren’t from Him, I’ve been pleasantly surprised with His answer. 

A specific passion I’ve had for many years shifted from the bottom of my 2017 goals list, up to the top three.

My lifelong weight struggles and issues with food have led me to years of research on everything from diets and weight loss, to health and wellness through natural solutions. 

I’ve tried to subdue this growing passion, thinking it was secondary to other ministries I’m involved in. I’ve never thought of it as a ministry, but now I do.
We were bought at a price and are to honor 
God with our bodies. (1 Corinthians 6:20)
When I revealed this passion to the Lord, as if I’d hidden it behind my back, He began connecting the dots in fulfilling a dream of a new vocation and livelihood that has endless possibilities.

He will instruct him (her) in the way chosen for him (her)…He (she) will spend his (her) days in prosperity. Psalm 25:12-13

My eyes are ever on the Lord, for only He will 
release my feet from the snare. Psalm 25:15.
Now, when someone asks me what is my passion, I can answer with excitement and confidence that as I pursue what I want and desire, I know I’m headed in the direction that pleases my Lord.

So what about you? What is your passion?

It could be that the very struggles you’ve had in life, are the stepping stones God has placed for you to step into the way He’s chosen just for you.

Ask Him to line up your wants with His and to deposit His desires into your heart while removing the ones that aren’t from Him. Like Solomon, ask God for a discerning heart. 

I’d love to hear back from you what happens next.

Continuing the course,

Terri

1 comment:

  1. Terri, I too, have come to the place where I want to define my goals and dreams. God has put the desire to write in me but also now to teach or speak (which scares the daylights out of me) but with His help I will be able to do all He calls me too. I feel like Moses when he told God he couldn't speak, but God said He would put the words in His mouth. As I learn and grow I know His Word will be put into my mind with the ability to share what He wants.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comment here: