by Terri Webster
Welcome and Happy New Year to you!
The holidays are behind us. Christmas decorations are down
and packed away. Parties and get-togethers we had to cook for have come and
gone.
I laughed at myself this morning, during my quiet time with
God. This time last year, I gathered all my colored highlighters, sharpies,
magazine cut-outs, tape and white poster board.
I commenced to creating my first ever, vision board. Full of
good and wonderful goals.
I was going to grow my side business exponentially by means
of various do, do, do’s.
Then there was the nonprofit ministry I’m responsible for. I
had many do, do, do plans for that.
Writing goals.
Women’s ministry goals.
Goals to cultivate all my relationships and learn to love
better, since LOVE was my theme word representing my daily time alone with God.
Then there’s of course, my part-time job. And also taking
care of my precious granddaughters 2 days a week. (I’m down to one day now).
I stood back and admired my completed 2017, first-ever
vision board. I was inspired!
I won’t waste time telling you which goals were reached and
those still hanging around waiting for my attention.
By March, life happened, the unexpected, in addition to the everyday expectations I showered on myself. All with good intentions. There’s
nothing wrong with setting goals. Vision boards are a great tool.
For me, personally, as I’ve shared before, I struggle with
over-commitment and saying yes too much.
My vision board became burdensome. I’d
look at it throughout the year and feel a failure. Again.
What about you? Do you start off each new-year with big plans
and goals? Maybe you’re the type of person who thrives when setting big goals.
Or do you struggle with over-planning and over-commitment?
Do you develop lists and plans, only to wind up frenzied and disappointed?
Turns out the 20 pounds I need to lose (still a goal), God
wasn’t as concerned about it as I was.
While God is extremely concerned with my health and daily pain
management struggles, He has a greater concern, a bigger plan.
God promises us successes, as we commit our work to Him. He wants us to succeed. But His successes and our successes sometimes, if not mostly, are different.
He’s more concerned about what flows in and out of our heart. He’s more interested in what thoughts rattle through our mind, causing distress.
God promises us successes, as we commit our work to Him. He wants us to succeed. But His successes and our successes sometimes, if not mostly, are different.
He’s more concerned about what flows in and out of our heart. He’s more interested in what thoughts rattle through our mind, causing distress.
When I ended up in a grieving, frenzied state by May, His
plan and words to me were to stop and be still.
Be. Still.
So I did.
He accomplished more in me last year than I could ever have expected or planned. Not through me, or because of me, but in me. It has nothing to do with what I do.
But has everything to do with being with Him. Not do, do, do, but just be.
The process continues.
We women are prone to society’s pressure that the busier we
are, the more productive we are. We’re led to believe that to be respected by our
peers, requires full, hectic schedules. We feel guilty if we aren't busy.
I’m here to tell you, that is a lie.
Whether you have small children at home, are married or
single, or like me, an emptynester, we somehow manage to fill up our plates
with busy stuff.
I used to think there wasn’t anything I could give up. God
is showing me that I’ve only just begun to clean off my plate.
Maybe it’s my age and I’m feeling it a little.
If you’re
much younger than me, take it from an older person. Trimming your busy
schedules, deleting items from your do lists, and making more time for Jesus,
will prove the most productive thing you’ve ever done.
Imagine this: The Great Creator of your heart’s desires, the
One who called you first, unto Him, He who relentlessly pursues you 24/7, the
Originator of your very existence, waits for you.
“Just stop a minute,” He says. “Come unto Me; learn from Me,”
He says.
Instead of rushing past Him, to the next thing to do, be
with Him. It won't be a waste of time.
This is how we stay the course.
May you have joy and rest in knowing Him deeper still, this year!
May you have joy and rest in knowing Him deeper still, this year!
Be-ing,
Terri


I can relate, Terri, because I also look at those lists and goals and see the things not done. I am the worst at comparing myself to others success. I am focusing a different way this year. I am using the word love and studying that like never before with the hopes of having a brand new insight into God's love like never before.
ReplyDeleteBarbara, thank you for sharing. I'd be interested to hear what God shows you about love. That's where I feel I lack the most in. I'm learning it's not about receiving or doing, but "being" in His love.
Delete