Monday, December 31, 2018

Make Plans Now


by Terri Webster

Happy New Year all! The sun is rising on 2019.

I don’t know about you, but this past year was a whirlwind.

At the end of every year, I read back over my journals. It’s incredible to see God’s hand at work in my life and be reminded of the past year’s events. I remember the big ones, but those little things (not so little) that impacted my life, I have trouble remembering.

In past years, I’ve set goals and made personal resolutions. If you’re anything like I am, you might be feeling a little defeated because you haven’t meet your goals or kept the resolutions you’ve made.

Life happens. The unexpected crowds our agendas, interrupting our goals and challenging the resolutions we made.

Today, I’m contemplating how I can start fresh in 2019. There’s
nothing wrong with goal-setting and making resolutions, but this year I’m trying something different and thought I’d share it with you. I’m only making a few short-term plans.

If God already knows the plans He has for me…


For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, 
plans to prosper you and not to harm you, 
plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11 (NIV)

…then I’m going to prayerfully make my plans. And I’m not making year-long plans, but short plans where I see a light at the end of the tunnel. 

Through prayer and checking my heart’s motives, God has revealed simple plans that cover three major areas of my life. 
  1. Women’s ministry in the form of a two-month small group soul-care plan. 
  2. Following a Jesus Plan Health Plan, instead of the newest and greatest diet and exercise program. 
  3. Finish writing my beach novel by making it a priority instead of a side thing. By committing only 15 minutes each day to writing, it feels doable. The beauty of this is, when I sit down to write for only 15 minutes, it leads to 30, then 60 or more.

There are clear instructions in the Bible about making plans. I’m making plans by following those instructions, which are…

Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many 
advisers they succeed. Proverbs 15:22 (NIV)

God has graciously provided close friends whose wise counsel I rely on. 

Commit to the Lord whatever you do and 
He will establish your plans. Proverbs 16:3 (NIV)

In the past I’ve jumped ahead of God with my plans. Have you ever done this? It only leads to confusion and hinders His purpose for our life. 

To avoid this, it’s crucial that we spend time alone with Him. Be still with Him, yield and stay immersed in His word.

Was I fickle when I intended to do this? Or do I make 
my plans in a worldly manner so that in the same breath 
I say both ‘yes, yes’ and ‘no, no’? 2 Corinthians 1:17 (NIV)

Saying yes to every opportunity presented to us, without making sure it’s God’s plan, leads to crowded schedules and serious burnout. This is not God’s plan.

And finally…

May He give you the desire of your heart and 
make all your plans succeed. Psalm 20:4 (NIV)

I’ve made incorrect assumptions about what He means by giving me the desire of my heart. God is a good and gracious Father, who has our ultimate best in mind.

If He’d given me every little heart’s desire I’ve had over the years, I shudder to think where I’d be in my life right now. He knows I’m happiest and most fulfilled when my desire(s) line up with His purposes.

So on this New Year’s Eve, I’m foregoing goal-setting and resolution making and sticking with these simple plans. I feel confident it will keep me on course.

I invite you to share your short-term plans to begin 2019. What works for you?

May He richly bless you today and all year, as you trust in Him.
Blessings,
Terri

6 comments:

  1. My plans are:
    to be in His Word daily,
    to seek His face and to LISTEN to His direction.





    My mornings hopefully will be appointment free leaving time for me to read, absorb, ponder, pray, and LISTEN. Then...I will be ready...to meet my day.

    Ethel Lytton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethel, thanks for sharing. Yes! My mornings alone with Him, are the best part of my day.

      Delete
  2. What a great year lies ahead for you, Terri. I can't wait to see what happens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great plans, Terri. I hope to focus on being careful about saying yes to many requests. I will continue to start each day with daily devotionals as I have done for years. Of course, I pray for the health and well-being of family and friends. We will make this a fantastic year of service and personal growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jackie! I, too, have to be careful to not say yes to everything even when it's good.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comment here: