Monday, October 27, 2014

Monday Marker: Struggling with Unbelief?

Are you a believer in Jesus Christ who struggles with unbelief sometimes? Well, you’re not alone. I’ve had my fair share of bouts with doubt.

Sometimes, as Christians, I think we’re afraid to admit to certain struggles for fear of what others might think.

Following Jesus is all about faith. It’s about being fully persuaded about Him, His message and your salvation and then wanting to spread that message. Right?

So why do we sometimes struggle with unbelief after all He’s done for us?

When I was a single mom, I faced many challenges. Financial, emotional, safety, loss, heartbreak, sorrow; you name it. As I sit here writing this, I can say with complete conviction that in every challenge I faced, God faced it with me, for me, through me and completely met me every single time. Time and again He revealed to me that He is who He says He is.

Now, I can’t give you the impression that I stood firm and strong every time I faced a crisis. I stood with wobbly knees and a tear-stained face many times, as I proclaimed my trust and belief that He’d get me through whatever my current situation was. And he didn’t always bring me through it the way I thought He should.

I believed in Him. I believed nothing was impossible with God. I had no problem believing He could provide in wild and unexpected ways. I believed He could heal, restore and answer prayer. I could believe all of this for anybody.

But just not for me. I doubted Him when it came to me. Did you just nod your head because you relate?

It doesn’t make sense, does it?

I struggled believing that what He did for others, He’d do for me. If He can draw me to Him, save me and send His spirit to live in my heart, why couldn’t I believe in Him for other needs in my life? Those were tough days back then. They were the very things that God used, though, to rid me of unbelief. He used all those times to strengthen my faith.

Our unbelief doesn’t change who God is. He’s the same yesterday, today and forever. But our faith is tiny. So tiny, in fact, it’s about the size of a mustard seed. Even if your faith is that small, what happens when you put it in the God who saved you? Huge, big, gigantic things! That’s what.

I can relate to the dad in Mark 9:17-24, whose son had a mute spirit that would cause him to have epileptic convulsions. He brought him to Jesus asking Him to heal him. He believed in Jesus, but struggled with unbelief.

Jesus said to him, “If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes.” Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief” Mark 9:23-24!

Do you sometimes feel like that dad?

Do you want your mustard-seed faith to grow into a large, flourishing tree like a real mustard seed does?

God will use the problems you face to strengthen your faith. Each time your faith grows stronger and will take place of the unbelief you may struggle with.

God used all my problems and circumstances throughout my 19 years as a single mom to grow and strengthen my faith in preparation for my life today.

After the dad cried out to Jesus to help his unbelief, I imagine he experienced exponential growth in his faith. 

It’s good to recall the things God has used in the past to strengthen our faith. It reminds us that He’s personally involved, and will provide for whatever new problem or crisis we’re facing now.

What are some things He’s done in your life that proved to you He’s actively and lovingly involved? In other words, what has God done for you to help you with your unbelief?

Feel free to share them in the comment area below.

Believing,

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: