I was frustrated…with God. Downright irritated.
In my tired and weepy state, I approached His throne; not in
humility and reverence, but with frustration. Complaining.
“Lord, You’re the One who opened these doors. I wasn’t
seeking it. You’re the One who made this vision reality. We need direction. And
funding. The needs are great. I’m terrible at this.
Naturally, I desire favor, a good name, fruitful outcomes.
Not only in ministry, but in my personal life.
I yearn to be nearer to God; to enjoy peaceful paths,
provision and confidence when I step out to do His work.
I want God’s blessings, grace and His eternal riches; to walk through this earth and feel safe, enjoying sweet sleep, trusting in His protection and future plans for me. Not fear of
sudden disaster; fear of things that may never happen.
Who doesn’t? Surely I’m not alone in this.
As I often do, I turned to the Book of Proverbs, hoping to
find some wisdom; a tad of knowledge. Whatever the date is, is where I always
begin. This particular morning was the 3rd.
I began with Proverbs 3:1-2
My son, (or daughter) do not forget my teaching,
but keep my
commands in your heart, for they will
prolong your life many years and bring
you prosperity.
It’s as if Father God started speaking. Not in a
finger-pointing disciplinary way, but as a Loving Father. Daughter, don’t let
the cares of this world choke out what I’ve already taught you.
Next I read in verses 3-4:
Let love and faithfulness never
leave you; bind them
around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name in the
sight of God and man.
Translated for me, this means to operate any ministry, as
well as my personal life, with love and faithfulness as the mantra. Love and
faithfulness wins favor and a good name.
Verses 5 and 6 is a biggie, and we all know it.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean
not on your own understanding;
in all your ways
acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
There’s no need to wrestle with Him over this. Trust Him, not in my finite understanding. He will provide direction as I continually
seek and acknowledge Him.
Following in the next two verses…
Do not be wise in your own
eyes; fear the Lord and shun evil.
This will bring health to your body and
nourishment to your bones.
I’d come to Him weary, achy, tired and struggling with joint
pain. My wisdom will lead me to exhaustion. His wisdom brings health and
nourishment.
I next read in verses 9 and 10:
Honor the Lord with your
wealth, with the first-fruits
of all your crops; then your barns will be filled
to
overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.
With regards to the
ministry to single moms, He just then instructed me financially, to give
outside of our ministry to others also working hard for His kingdom. Another
biggie for me.
Are you feeling distant from God today? Sometimes it’s
because of His discipline, which is His way of bringing us closer to Him.
As stated in verses 11-12:
My son, (or daughter) do not despise the Lord’s discipline
and do not resent His rebuke, because the Lord disciplines
those he loves, as a
father the son he delights in.
Finding wisdom and gaining knowledge, is always His desire
for us.
Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who
gains
understanding, for she is more profitable than
silver and yields better returns
than gold. She is more
precious than rubies, nothing you desire can compare
with her. Long life is in her right hand; in her left hand
are riches and
honor. Her ways are pleasant ways, and
all her paths are peace. She is a tree
of life to those who
embrace her; those who lay hold of her
will be blessed.
Verses 13-18
The rest of Proverbs 3 exhorted me to
preserve sound judgement and discernment, to never lose sight of those two
things. His promises of safety, sure-footedness, sweet sleep and confidence encouraged
me as I read more about the benefits of wisdom.
There was nothing else for me to say to Him. He had spoken.
Whatever burdens we think we’re supposed to carry or when we
need direction, the Lord has given us what we need right here in Proverbs 3.
I invite you to share below what you do when you need God's direction and are feeling frustrated.
Staying the course through His word,
Terri

No comments:
Post a Comment
Share your comment here: