Maybe you’re worried about how you’re going to afford gifts
for others. Maybe you feel pressure to meet others’ expectations. So you
go through the motions, counting the days until January 1st,
missing the whole point of it all.
Last week, as we prepared for Thanksgiving, I promised to
make my own gratitude list after I encouraged you to. After all, how can I
suggest you do something if I don’t do it too? Right? So I'm sharing a portion of it at the end of this post.
If you missed last week, simply scroll down below today's post to catch up.
So how’s your list coming? What kind of things were you
surprised by as you began jotting down what you’re thankful for?
Or did you tell yourself it was a nice idea, but it wouldn’t
change anything?
While that might be true, that your circumstances won’t
change right away, what will happen is, you begin to change. The peaceful contentment you long for rises up in the midst of being grateful.
This time of year will always bring mixed emotions for me.
And I know I’m not alone.
I’ve found that when I focus on the real reason I’m baking, planning get-togethers, buying gifts or making them, I’m less vulnerable to
disappointment or sadness.
What is the real reason? The real reason is all because of Jesus Christ. He's all the reason. It's to Him I give thanks and to Him I celebrate His birth at Christmas. Apart from that, all the activities I'm doing become pointless and empty.
Not to negate cherishing the time with family and friends, wishing peace on earth, and good will toward all men. But if these are all we're hoping for, we're headed for disappointment and depression at the end of the year, rather than peaceful contentment that only Jesus brings.
Throughout the holidays and beyond, I try to focus on all God has given me;
done for me and continues doing in my life. Not what I think He should do or give me or work out on my behalf on my time table.
Comparing my life with others isn't allowed either. I wasted a lot of years doing that and believe me
when I tell you, it DOES NOT help.
I’ve come to love Christmas again because, while I bake, decorate and buy a few gifts for loved ones, it’s Jesus I’m celebrating!
The lights, music, time with family and friends are all part of it. Joy and peace are mine as I make it all about Him.
Despite extreme commercialism and the skirmishes over saying Merry Christmas versus Happy Holidays, it's a joyous occasion. Like it or not, it's Jesus Christ we celebrate; nothing else.
Will you, with me, not get sucked up in the societal hype of
this season? Will you give yourself permission to enjoy celebrating Him with
each dish you pull out of the oven, present you wrap or get-together you plan?
Will you join me in thankfully preparing for Christmas and allow yourself to enjoy every single part of it?
Now, for my gratitude list. I tried to focus on less
material things and zoom in on God’s everyday blessings that I take for
granted. I’m not listing loved ones here, but they are on my extensive written list.
So here
goes:
- Pansies (it amazes me how they endure harsh weather)
- Front porch
- The two colorful maple trees in the front yard
- A crisp blue sky against fall trees
- My Bible
- The owl that lives nearby. He calls out at night and dawn. It’s soothing.
- Geese in a stagnant pond below our house. They leave every morning, but always come back at sunset.
- God’s unceasing pursuit of me, despite me.
- Forgiveness
- Hot coffee
- Prayer
- God’s unchanging love
- The upstairs room
- 93.3 Joy FM
- Celebrate Recovery
- Hope. There’s always hope where God is concerned
- Written words
Feel free to also share how you handle the Christmas season without
getting sucked in to the commercialism. I could always use some
fresh suggestions.
Staying the course during the holidays and beyond,
Terri

Love your list, Terri. I am thankful of course for my family, friends, and writing partners, like you and our writing group. I am thankful for rain because now that we are in a drought we are more conscious of what it does for us than when we have plenty. Thank God for our country, my home, that I can get up in the morning and walk, talk, breathe and see. Jesus is the best gift of all for without Him we would have nothing to be thankful for.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing, Barbara. I love to hear others' thankful lists!
ReplyDelete