Monday, April 25, 2016

Digging, Planting, Growing

Last Monday I shared what we all need the most and how our desires and wants can be met in one place: at the feet of Jesus.

When January 2016 rolled around, I made a new commitment. I didn’t consider it a New Year’s resolution, but I was resolute, nonetheless, I resolved to be more intentional with my daily time with Jesus. 

I was spending time with Him each morning, but it was distracted-all-about-me-check-off-the-list time with no depth or growth.

Hurts to admit, but it’s true.

I’ve known Jesus a long time, and tasted the goodness of intimate fellowship with Him before. But I’d allowed my passion to wan.

I felt like a withered tree in the desert. Life has a way of doing that to us.

My bestie, Sande, was starting a new Bible study blog, The Planting Place, on January 1, 2016. Her new blog would include a three-year Bible reading plan, with an in-depth summary of what the reading is for each day.

That’s just what I needed! A plan.

Who better to follow than someone who makes her alone time with Jesus top priority, and has studied the Bible in depth.

Sande goes to great lengths to ensure she meets with Jesus every morning, stating, I have a date with Jesus!

Every year Sande asks God for a theme and a color, to represent their upcoming year together. No matter how early she needs to leave her house each morning she’s up even earlier for her date with Jesus.

I remember thinking, I’m already sleep deprived. I can’t afford to lose anymore sleep.

Sande would say, I can’t afford not to; I need that time with the Lord desperately.

I don’t know how God does it. He stirs up this hunger in you and me. Why would He do that?

For love! He loves me, and you, and wants to spend time with us. He has much to say and wants to satisfy our longings.  

The only way to fully satisfy our inner needs, is through a deeper growth in the Lord, digging deeper in God’s word, knowing Him, sitting at His feet.

I’ve always known this, but I’ve used the same excuse: I am soooo busy!

I truly believed I couldn’t add to my 15-20 minutes every morning with the Lord. But I’d come to the place where I had no choice. I felt I couldn’t afford NOT to. 

I was getting desperate and knew if I didn’t surrender to His tug on my heart and mind, I’d regretfully look elsewhere to satisfy this hunger or succumb to the accumulation of life’s sorrows and stresses.

I got excited about new growth with the Lord. I asked God for a word AND a color. He must have felt excited too because I knew before I even asked. 

GROWTH for my word and GREEN 
for the color.

Sound silly?

Not to me. God knows the hunger I feel. He knows my desire to grow. He’s the one who put both in my heart.

I remembered the times of old when I tasted His goodness and He showed me stuff, spoke to my heart and comforted me during devastating times.

I bought a new journal (green), and wrote on the front, The Planting Place. How fitting. My verse is Isaiah 61:3, but mostly the last part: They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord, for the display of His splendor.

January 1, 2016, Sande, posted her first daily blog beginning in Genesis 1. I set my alarm an hour earlier and began digging new soil where new life could grow.

New, fresh, green, growth.

What about you? Come join us. Ask God for a special word, color and scripture for your dates with Him this year. It’s never too late to start. Then join us at The Planting Place here: The Planting Place

Next week I’ll share my hurdles and trip-ups, as well as a few tips I’ve learned that ensure I stay on this path. 

Until then, stay the course,

Terri

photos courtesy of www.pixabay.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: