Monday, May 2, 2016

Dating Jesus

I shudder to think where I’d be if not for Jesus. His presence in my life is everything to me. I can’t imagine life without Him. I just can’t.

It makes sense that I long for time alone with Him. I recognize though, there’s no way this longing comes from within my heart, in and of myself. He put it there.

Not too long ago I was growing dangerously numb to His prodding. Yes, even after all these years. I’m humbly grateful for His relentless pursuit of me. Makes me feel truly loved.

He’s relentless with you too. The cravings, longings and unmet needs sitting like lead weights in the bottom of your heart, can only be satisfied by Jesus.

Last Monday I wrote about becoming more intentional with my time alone with Jesus. I’d come to the place where I realized I couldn’t afford NOT to dig, plant and grow.

Merriam-Webster defines intentional as Done in a way that is planned or intended.

What does this look like? It means setting our alarm clocks earlier than usual. Or writing it on our calendar or phone’s calendar. 

Then guarding that time. Our meeting with Jesus each day is more important than any other meeting we could schedule.

The three must-haves are:
  • A quiet place/spot. Uninterrupted and not distracting.
  • Your Bible or Bible app on your mobile device
  • A notebook for writing down your thoughts, prayers and all the awesome things God will show you.
As I began with a clean slate on January 1 of this year, I didn’t get too far with my plan before I hit several hurdles.


The first hurdle…ignoring God.

I was out of town for my job and had set my alarm for 5:00am, allowing plenty of time with Jesus before meeting my coworkers in the hotel lobby. 

I woke up at 4:00am. Lying there in the dark I heard these words:

Call to Me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. Jeremiah 33:3 (NIV)

I knew it was God. How else would this verse pop into my head at 4:00am?

I thought about how tired I’d be during the day if I got up, and felt that 5:00am was already pushing it for me. So I rolled back over and dozed off.

Have you ever had a friend or family member leave a voicemail on your phone saying, Call me!

That’s what God did. And I shrugged Him off.

An hour later I got up, gathered my “quiet-time” things and settled cozily against my pillows in bed with a cup of hotel coffee.

I didn’t bring my Bible, since I have a Bible app on my phone. I tried to access Google Play for a little worship music. Nothing. It wouldn’t work. I was immediately irritated.

My irritation intensified when the Bible app wouldn’t work either. I suddenly felt alone in my room, like Jesus was nowhere. I dared to say to Him that I felt stood up. Through tears.

During my little tearful fit, I felt a gentle ping in my heart and mind. I had stood Him up. He called me. Jesus called me! And I brushed Him off.

I was mortified.

I got over that hurdle, but not without a painful lesson learned.

My 2nd hurdle came when certain expectations weren’t met. Such as, all the wonderful things God would show me. Direction for writing, single-parent ministry and other warm-fuzzies that come when sitting at His feet, learning from Him. 

Those things did come, but in very small portions in comparison to the surprises God showed me.

I’d been struggling with stinking thinking. My thoughts caused a bubbling brew in my heart that was going to spew uncontrollably if not dealt with. 

Here I was, with my devotionals, Bible reading, journaling and praying. Yet how I was thinking and what I harbored in my heart were wrong. Pure sin. I couldn’t even stand myself.

God’s majestic finger touched my heart, as if He pointed straight to the root cause of my impure thoughts. The bubbling brew had gone on for so long it took
a while to simmer enough where He could toss it out.

Hopefully for good.

Remove the dross from the silver and out comes material for the silversmith. Proverbs 25:4 (NIV)

Dross is the scum formed on the surface of molten metal or waste matter; worthless stuff; rubbish. (Webster’s New College Dictionary)

God is the Silversmith who scraps off the dross and tosses it.

The last hurdle is worrying about what’s going on outside my closed door. 

Worrying about what someone else thinks of me when I disappear for an hour. 

Or worrying about all the other things I need to do, feeling like this precious time is unproductive or frivolous.

Ladies, meeting and sitting at Jesus’ feet every day is the life-breathing, fresh touch you need to satisfy your deepest longings. He wants you to be in love with Him, like He is with you.

Remember my friend, Sande, founder of The Planting Place, I spoke about last week? She’s joining us next Monday to share her story of finding everything she needs at the feet of Jesus. You won’t want to miss her!

Until then…stay the course
Terri





2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's not easy to talk to God about the wants and desires in your heart rather all you know is that you are hurting or in need. In these quiet times that I have with God I typically just say something like "God, you know the desires of my heart, please help me to understand and carry out the plan that you have on my life. You know what is best for me and I trust your everlasting love and direction." Typically within a few hours to days (sometimes months) I start to see things more clearly, doesn't always mean they are the way the human side of me think they should be but I definitely trust HIS plan and not mine. I pray that each lady find that personal time with Jesus and answers and direction in their lives.
    ~RH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RH for sharing. You're so right about how we can see things more clearly in time and trusting His plan. It's not always easy.

      Delete

Share your comment here: