If you’re female, you already know this uninvited, unannounced intruder all too well. It shows up without notice and can wreck any day.
On the flip side, these are welcomed with open
arms and will turn a bad day into a good day.
The Good Mood.
Whichever one shows up, they no doubt will swing you high,
soaring up to the sky, only to change abruptly by going in the opposite
direction, swinging you backwards, where you can only see down.
Mood Swings.
They force their way in on the playground of life, and are as
unpredictable and apt to change as the weather.
Our poor hormones get the blame for all the bad and ugly
moods.
It’s not realistic to expect to always be in a good mood or
feel happy. It won’t last long before the swing shifts or circumstances,
whether physical or otherwise, push the mood swing in a direction not of your
choosing.
I’m not a mood expert, but I do have a few tips and tools that help me control the wild swinging back and forth and enjoy mood stability.
I’m not a mood expert, but I do have a few tips and tools that help me control the wild swinging back and forth and enjoy mood stability.
- Accept your hormones. Since we know our hormones have physical and mental ramifications, being aware of your body’s cycle is key. Knowing roughly when the time is coming that you'll feel like chewing nails and spitting them out, can help offset the intensity of it. (For more severe physical and mental issues affected by shifting hormones, you should see your family physician).
- Control. Mood swings can control your life if you think you have control over others. Are your moods controlled by others’ choices and behavior? Accept that the only control you have over anything, is how you react.
- If you’re generally feeling blah and blue, what usually helps me is a slight change or interruption in my schedule. When possible I take an afternoon or morning off. O-F-F. From everything; including social media and ringing cell phones. Then I replace it with something that relaxes me. Light exercise or anything outside usually works since I’m cooped up in an office most of the time. Once I told my boss I was taking the next day off, and didn’t tell anyone else. The next morning I grabbed my Bible and journal and drove to a nearby state park and enjoyed a day alone with God.
- Daily, quiet solitude with the Lord. Read your Bible, journal, prayerfully seek Him, with one purpose in mind: to know Him. This is a non-negotiable for me because I need it that badly.
- Gratitude. I’ve always considered myself a girl who thinks of the glass being half full instead of half empty. Lately, I confess it’s been the other way around. When I think negative thoughts I feel negative, hence, bad mood. When I look around at all God has given (the simple things), I can’t help but be in a good mood. It’s okay to be thankful for material things (and I am), but focus on being thankful for the simple things we take for granted.
- Food. Junk food equals bad mood. Healthier food equals good mood. Be diligent in what you feed your body. Did you know certain foods exacerbate depression, pre-menstrual and menopausal symptoms? For your health’s sake and moodiness, get proactive.
- Sleep. This is a biggie for me since I’ve struggled with insomnia in my menopausal years. It has gotten better with the use of essential oils versus over-the-counter and prescription drugs. Research also shows that the glow from mobile devices (phones, tablets, laptops) before bedtime interrupt sleep patterns. Allow at least 6-8 hours of sleep time.
- Friends and accountability support
can NEVER be over
rated. I shudder to think where I’d be without my girlfriends!
Building trusted friendships can save you a fortune in counseling fees.
BONUS: You have gifts and talents
that are meant to be tapped into and used. When you do this, you’ll find
fulfillment that may be missing, and explain some of your mood swings. Mine is
writing. What’s yours?
Feel free to add some tips and tools in the comment area
below that help you level out your mood swings.
Until next Monday, I encourage you to stay the course,
Terri




Great advice, Terri.
ReplyDeleteThanks Barbara. Writing about this sent me into a mood swing!
Delete