Monday, June 6, 2016

What Are You Wearing Today?

What did you put on this morning when you got up?

A uniform? Business clothes? Jeans? Are you dressy, casual or still in your pajamas?


Are you wearing earrings? Necklace? Bracelets? And what kind of shoes are you wearing?

I'm sure how you're dressed is determined by where you’re going or what’s on today’s agenda.

When we get dressed, we are careful to choose clothes based on how we want to look, along with style and comfort. 

Maybe we dress to hide what's really "hidden" or underneath.

We also dress in "invisible" clothes that we're unaware of. We wear them every day. These “invisible” clothes affect everything we say and do far more than we think. Truth is, they're not so invisible.

One day, not very long ago, I asked a single mom who was homeless, this question:

How is it that, what you’ve been through and currently going through, you’re so positive, energetic and hopeful? Sitting there with her, one could not see a hint of her current circumstances.

I’ll never forget what her answer was:

               I just don’t wear it.

Her answer stunned me for a few seconds, then I got it.

I was part of a panel of interviewers, discussing her entrance into a resident ministry for single moms.

Her children were well dressed and well behaved. She didn’t let them “wear” their circumstances either.

I was convicted. Not guilt-ridden, but gently convicted by the Lord.

I thought about when I was a single mom and how I put on my struggles, hardships and disappointments every day, wearing them everywhere I went.

I dressed myself in shame, financial burdens, victimization and rejection. I walked in shoes of fear and anger, depending on what day it was.

Those years have passed for me, but those five little words made me realize I still wore a lot of the same old “clothes”.




I love wearing something new. Don’t you? How do you feel when you put on a new dress or outfit?

I wonder what would happen if we simply changed our invisible clothing, one piece at a time. How do you think it would begin to affect our outward circumstances (and appearance)?

Here's a few:

 “…and provide for those who grieve in Zion – 
to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, 
the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise 
instead of a spirit of despair. Isaiah 61:3
LAYER ON
I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. 
For he has clothed me with garments of salvation 
and arrayed me in a robe of his righteousness
as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. Isaiah 61:10
AND
Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled 
around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness 
in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness 
that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, 
take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish 
all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the 
helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit
which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:4-17
ACCESSORIZE WITH
Your statutes, Lord, stand firm; holiness adorns 
your house for endless days. Psalm 93:5
AND
She is clothed with strength and dignity
she can laugh at the days to come. Proverbs 31:25

I know. You might be thinking it’s much easier said, than done. I get that.  

That’s why we must go from just saying it, to doing it. Piece by piece, day by day. Or hey, just go on an all-out spree and get a whole new wardrobe at once.

The best part is…IT’S ALL FREE!

My daughter once said, “you dress for the job you want, not the one you have.” (Unless you already have the job you want)

Maybe if we “dressed” for the circumstances we want, not the ones we’re in, what would happen?

Here’s a summary of what we could be wearing from our new wardrobe:

Crown of beauty
Oil of joy
Garments of praise and salvation
Robe of righteousness
Belt of truth
Breastplate of righteousness
Shoes from the gospel of peace
Shield of faith
Helmet of salvation



Sword of the Spirit (God's Word)


Holiness
Strength
Dignity



These are just a few. Maybe you can add some in the comments area below that I’ve left out.

I’m updating my current wardrobe. Won’t you join me? 

Staying the course,
Terri

2 comments:

  1. Great post, Terri. I love your analogies. I will never think about getting dressed the same way again. You reminded me of Colossions 3:14 that tells us to put on love. Now I will look at all these verses in a new light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Terri. I love your analogies. I will never think about getting dressed the same way again. You reminded me of Colossions 3:14 that tells us to put on love. Now I will look at all these verses in a new light!

    ReplyDelete

Share your comment here: