Good Monday morning everyone!
Last week I shared some tips about what NOT to do and what
you CAN do when facing an unwanted divorce.
Today I have some encouragement for you about life after
divorce. As you surrender your brokenness to Jesus Christ, you will come to the
place where you can enjoy life again and walk in newness and healing.
It’s been 27 years since my divorce. God carried me through
the hard realities of double betrayal and into the scary world of
single-parenthood. While my husband and best friend carried on as if nothing
was wrong with what they were doing, my children and I bore the brunt of most
of it, or so it seemed at the time.
We didn’t come out unscathed. But through it all, we saw
God’s hand in miraculous ways and enjoyed His blessings of peace and comfort in the midst of difficulties.
During the beginning of my separation and divorce, I can remember
thinking to myself…three years…in three
years I’ll be past all of this.
I don’t know why three years was stuck in my head, but it
seemed within reach. I knew the dark clouds would part, the sun would
shine again and the pain wouldn’t be felt as much.
In the meantime, I curled up in God’s lap and drew every
ounce of strength I had from Him. His word, my Bible, was my lifeline as I
placed my hope and trust in His promises.
With each loss that we endured, God provided something new. When I
stood on God’s promises during a crisis He came through. Usually
it was never in a way I would have thought.
I discovered early on that He wanted to use what the devil
thought would destroy me, for His glory. God wanted to turn every defeat into a
victory and He’s still doing it to this day!
When bad things happened, God aligned incredible people,
opportunities and sweet memories to outshine the bad. I learned to
enjoy simple
pleasures. For 19 years while being a single mom, God opened doors when others
would close and provided comfort and healing through it all.
Something I never thought would happen is I learned to
enjoy my own company and being alone. I discovered who I am in Him in ways I
couldn’t have if not for my brokenness.
He took all the pain and heartache and turned it into a
writing ministry and opened doors to a non-profit ministry to single parents.
You intended to
harm me, but God
intended it for good…Genesis 50:20
I’m still curled up in His lap, but now it’s to learn
from Him, gain wisdom and direction as He continues repurposing my life, which
now includes a sweet new husband of eight years.
Whatever stage you may be in of a separation or divorce, I
want to encourage you, and comfort you with these words:
Praise be to the God and Father of
our Lord Jesus Christ,
the Father of
compassion and the God of all comfort,
with the comfort we ourselves
receive from
God. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Now, put me
in place of us and my in place of our and I in the place of we.
And re-read the above verse.
And also these promises:
But now, this is what the Lord says, he who created
you,
Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: ‘Do not fear,
for I have redeemed you; I have
summoned you by
name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters,
I will be
with you; and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the
fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set
you ablaze. For I am the Lord your God, the
Holy One of Israel, your Savior…Isaiah
43:1-3a
Now, insert your name in the place of Jacob and Israel
and re-read the above verse.
Wherever you may be in a separation and/or divorce
process, God is a redeeming God. He is the Lord who heals you (Exodus 15:26).
God is close and ready to heal your broken heart when you’re
ready.
The Lord is close
to the brokenhearted and
saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18
He heals the
brokenhearted and binds
up their wounds. Psalm 147:3
Are you facing a separation or divorce?
I invite you to share below your thoughts if you’ve
experienced an unwanted divorce or are facing one now. If you’d like to email
me privately, simply fill out the contact form on the right.
Until next Monday, stay the course,
Terri



Terri, I agree. There is life after divorce. It's taken me several years to get here, but I'm here. I never knew how tender God could be until I went through this. He truly is near the brokenhearted.
ReplyDeleteLisa, I love how you said, "I never knew how tender God could be..." So true. Thanks for your commebt.
ReplyDelete