Monday, September 19, 2016

Uncommon

Hi friends!

I’m writing to you from the beautiful Gulf of Mexico.
Where I am is referred to as The Uncommon Florida.

Yearly, hundreds of thousands retreat to the shores of the Gulf of Mexico for vacation.

So what makes where I am so uncommon?

Merriam-Webster online describes uncommon as, not ordinary: remarkable or exceptional.

When most people think of vacationing in Florida, they envision high-rise condos, sugary, white, sandy beaches, plenty of restaurants and shopping, blended in with the hustle and bustle of the common beach vacation.

Standing on a sandy beach where the view is lines of hotels and high-rise condos skirting the ocean’s edge is common. 

Crowded, steamy elevators are normal. People loaded down with beach gear and ice boxes are typical because it’s a hassle to make extra trips.

In the height of vacation season, you have to beat everyone else to the beach to claim your spot in the sand, soon to be surrounded by hundreds of others having the same common experience as you.

Sounds more stressful than the rat race vacationers are trying to escape.


I’m far removed from all of that; from the rush and hurry, crowds and traffic. Where I am right now, restaurants and shopping are scarce. No fancy frills and thrills. The nearest Wal-Mart is an hour away.
 
Beach access is easy and free.

I walk out my door, and in less than a minute am at the water’s edge. No waiting for an over-crowded, stifling elevator. 

It’s easy to imagine what Florida was like decades ago, because this uncommon place has preserved a lot of “old Florida”.


The pace is slow and uncomplicated. Some might say it’s boring here.

To the world it seems unnatural and complicated to live a life in surrender to Jesus Christ. Some think it’s restrictive and boring.

There was a time when I thought being a Believer in Jesus Christ and living a life surrendered to Him, would be boring and strict. I could never understand why people would want to do that.

But I was wrong.

When I decided to take the uncommon route and become His child, I discovered a life full of adventure and joy that never gets boring or complicated. (Unless I make it so).

Over 34 years later, God still awes me. He isn’t boring. His ways are not strict. His protective boundaries are freeing.

Retreating for vacation where endless high-rise condos and hotels in densely populated places, versus
the uncommon place I am right now, is like trying to live a life apart from the refreshing, restful, joy-filled, place with God that’s uncommon to the world.

It’s uncommonly simple. 

His ways are not nearly as complicated as the world’s ways.

What would you choose today? God’s uncommon, free gift of knowing Him through Jesus Christ, or fighting for your spot in the sand with the rest of the world?

I’ll take the uncommon route. I hope you will too.

Let’s stay the course, together.

Terri

2 comments:

  1. Your beautiful photos make me want to be there and enjoy the peace. You had the best vacation ever, one that can take your mind away and settle down. Much better than the crowded umbrella-laden sand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed it, Barbara. I definitely allowed my mind to go on vacation. It's a blessing to be able to get away like that.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comment here: