Monday, September 26, 2016

Discontentment

Discontentment. Seems like a harmless enough word.

Actually, discontentment is common among our society.

Are you content? Or discontent? Are you discontent overall or just with a few areas in your life?

Discontentment is a sneaky, sleazy, underhanded tactic the devil uses to derail me into a head-on collision with defeat.

Merriam-Webster online defines discontent as a sense of grievance. Dissatisfaction.

The thing with being discontent is, it leads you by the nose down, down, down into a dark hole.

The prerequisite to discontentment is ingratitude. Thanklessness.

For me, it begins with one thought. Just a single thought.

If a friend of mine receives flowers from her husband, I might think something like, my husband never brings me flowers. I focus on that instead of all the countless other ways he serves me. It can spiral downward from there.

Or a friendship may feel one-sided because you’re always the one initiating contact. Instead of being thankful for all they do for you and the numerous ways they’re there for you, you focus on the one thing you wish they’d do. Call you first.

Maybe your furniture is old and worn. Your neighbor just got new
furniture, but you can’t afford to replace your plaid, tattered sofa. You become envious and discontent over what you don’t have instead of being thankful for the abundance you do have.

These single-minded thoughts will lead down a trail to the next thought and on and on, until satan has you by the nose, leading you down the road of discontentment.

He’s hoping you’ll stay on that course until it finally disrupts your life. He’s hoping it’ll lead to broken relationships and broken lives.

Just by being discontent.

When I feel myself becoming discontent, a red flag pops up in my conscience and heart. I know I won’t find contentment in people, places or things. I’ve already tried.

If I pursue the different avenues of what I feel will bring me contentment, it leads to the same destination. DISAPPOINTMENT. And more DISCONTENTMENT.

According to Google search, contentment is a state of happiness and satisfaction, fulfillment, ease of mind.

How can one find this deeply sought-after state? If it can’t be found in the world, then where?
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and 
enjoy safe pasture. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give 
you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:3-4

Then He said to them, ‘Watch out! Be on your guard 
against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an 
abundance of possessions.’ Luke 12:15

Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content 
with what you have, because God has said, ‘Never will I leave 
you; never will I forsake you.’ Hebrews 13:5

I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned 
to be content whatever the circumstances. Philippians 4:11

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, 
whether living in plenty or in want. Philippians 4:12


God’s answer to discontentment and finding fulfillment in Him and His promises, is truly where I find my joy and contentment every single time.

Making time to be alone with Him daily, and seeking Him has been my freedom from a discontented life. This is where I’ve found endless joy (not the same as happiness) and peace of mind.

The next time you’re led down the path of discontentment, please, please stop! Then veer away from that course and go to the One True Source of contentment.

When you do, you won’t be sorry. And you won’t find discontentment there.

You make known to me the path of life; you will fill me with 
joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand. 
Psalm 16:11

On the road to contentment,

Terri

1 comment:

  1. Love this post, Terri. We all suffer from this discontented disease from time to time and need to be reminded where it comes from and how destructive to wallow in it. If we will remember how much God has blessed us we will have no room to be discontented.

    ReplyDelete

Share your comment here: