Monday, October 24, 2016

When You Turn Out the Lights

During my early months as a single mom, I dreaded turning the lights out at night. 

I was a knee-knocking, fearful 27-year old in charge of the safety of my two children in the other bedroom.

I haven’t told many people this, but those first months I was alone, I slept with a knife hidden under my mattress. A big one.

I remember putting a chair at each door, tilted just under the doorknob to keep out danger.

We had a big dog too. Sheba slept outside in her cozy doghouse in our fenced-in yard, so I thought.

One night she erupted into an attack bark right under my bedroom window, followed by her galloping to the back corner of the yard. My feet hit the floor like bowling balls and kneeled to look out into the dark.

Minutes later, Sheba returned to her spot underneath my window and I went back to bed.

I told myself it was probably just a deer or other night animal.

What I didn’t know was she’d been sleeping under my window every night instead of in her doghouse. When I would turn out the lights, I could see her laying right there beneath my window.

I began to notice when I was in another part of the house, I could look out and there she’d be.

God used Sheba to remind me that He set His angles in place to guard over me.

For He will command His angels concerning you, to guard you in all your ways. Psalm 91:11 

Eventually I put the knife back in the kitchen where it belonged and didn’t have Sheba anymore.

Over time, I realized my Protector was mightier than any physical weapon I had or Sheba. I wasn’t so afraid for our safety anymore.

The Lord used those single-mom years to teach me more than I would’ve learned had I not gone through those tough times.

Are you alone for the first time in many years, and dread turning out the lights at night? Are you going through some tough times right now and feel alone?

The Lord Jesus will use this time to make His presence known to you, as you set your thoughts on Him. He’s already thinking about you.

Indeed, the very hairs on your head are all numbered. 
Don’t be afraid; you are worth more than 
many sparrows. Luke 12:7

And when you fall asleep, you can have peace.

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for You alone, 
Lord, make me dwell in safety. Psalm 4:8

Whatever tough times you’re experiencing, I can tell you this: Our Heavenly Father specializes in showing His faithfulness during tough times. 

He will use our struggles no matter how big or small to equip us for brighter days and use for His purposes.

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned, the flames will not set you ablaze. Isaiah 43:2

Today, trust Him as your Protector and faithful Deliverer. On the other side of your troubles, you will have no doubt that He is the One True God, 

Let's stay the course, by trusting Him in the tough times.

Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your comment here: